2017 Scholarship Application
$1000 Awarded Annually
DEADLINE: Friday, May 5, 2017
Purpose: To provide scholarship assistance to eligible African American Calvert County high school graduates to participate in post-secondary education.
1. Applicant must be an African American Student and a member in good standing of the current graduating class of Calvert, Huntingtown, Northern, or Patuxent High Schools;
2. Student must have maintained a 2.0 or better grade point average over the last two (2) years of high school (official transcript must be included);
3. Recipients of the award must be accepted by an accredited two (2) or four (4) year college and must use the award toward tuition and room/board;
4. The scholarship award is for one (1) year only and will not be renewable. However, if the student maintains a “B” average during the freshman year (transcript must be provided by June 30 of the following year), a monetary donation will be awarded during the sophomore year;
5. Applicant must submit “Letter(s) of Acceptance” from the institution(s) where admission is sought;
6. Scholarship will be paid directly to college or university.
The Selection Committee will consider the following criteria:
1. Financial/economic need;
2. Character and conduct;
3. Participation in school and community activities;
4. Attributes of good citizenship;
5. Academic achievements;
6. Goals and objectives of the student;
8. Ability to work with others;
9. Evidence of part-time employment.
Letters of Recommendations
Three (3) letters of recommendation are required with each application, two (2) from a school official, counselor or teacher and one (1) from a member of the community who knows the applicant outside of school.
Please see the link below for eligibility, criteria for selection and MORE information....
Check back often to keep informed and up to date!